Ever wondered how to sit on a kneeling chair? The negative effects of poor ergonomics are well-documented, but there’s one solution that’s often overlooked: the kneeling chair. Kneeling chairs allow you to sit with your knees at a 90-degree angle, taking the pressure off your spine and improving your posture. Not to mention, they just look really cool. These chairs are becoming increasingly popular among office workers due to their ergonomic design and health benefits.
Sitting at a desk all day is killing your back. You have to sit at your desk for many hours every day, and it’s really hurting your back. Use a kneeling chair, which allows you to sit with your knees bent at 90 degrees, taking pressure off of your spine.
What is a Kneeling Chair
A kneeling chair is a type of chair designed to allow the user to sit with their legs at a more comfortable angle than a traditional chair. The user’s weight is distributed more evenly between their knees and ankles, which can reduce pain in the lower back and improve posture.
Kneeling chairs have been around for centuries, but they gained popularity in the United States in the early 1990s after ergonomist Bill Stumpf designed a model called the ErgoErgo.
If you’re considering using a kneeling chair, it’s important to find one that is adjustable so you can customize it to your body size and needs. You should also make sure to choose a comfortable fabric for the seat and knee pads.
A kneeling chair has a seat and backrest, but no arms. The seat is slightly tilted forward so that you can sit on your knees in a 90-degree angle. When you sit on it, the backrest will support your upper body. You may want to use a pillow or cushion to support your knees and thighs. You can also use an ergonomic kneeling chair pad, which is a special type of cushion that supports your knees while you are sitting on the seat.
Benefits of a Kneeling Chair
There are a number of benefits to using a kneeling chair as opposed to a traditional office chair.
- The angle that your body is positioned at on a kneeling chair takes the pressure off of your spine and relieves any lower back pain that you may be experiencing.
- Because you are sitting upright on a kneeling chair, your abdominal muscles are engaged which helps to improve your posture.
- It forces you to use your leg muscles more than you would if you were sitting in a traditional chair. This can help to increase circulation and prevent cramping or discomfort in your legs from sitting in the same position for extended periods of time.
- Many people find that they have increased energy levels and focus when using a kneeling chair as opposed to a traditional desk chair.
How to Sit on a Kneeling Chair
- Adjust the chair to the appropriate height. Your thighs should be parallel to the ground, and your knees should be at a 90-degree angle.
- Place your feet flat on the ground, about shoulder-width apart.
- Sit up straight and tuck in your pelvis. This will help you maintain good posture and avoid slouching.
- Relax your shoulders and keep your head upright. Avoid looking down at your computer screen or phone; instead, focus on a point in front of you at eye level.
- Take breaks often to move around and stretch your body.
Different Types of Kneeling Chairs
There are three primary types of kneeling chairs. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Wooden Kneeling Chair
One of the most popular types of ergonomic chairs on the market today is the wooden kneeling chair. These chairs are the most affordable option, but they can be less comfortable than chairs made from other materials.
Unlike traditional office chairs, which can cause back and neck pain, a wooden kneeling chair encourages good posture and helps to reduce strain on the spine. Because these chairs are made of solid wood and only the seat, backrest, and armrests are padded, they do not have a lot of give.
This means that they may be uncomfortable for people who have sensitive joints and muscles. On the other hand, because wooden kneeling chairs are made of wood, they can be customized to suit your preferences.
Metal Kneeling Chair
This type of chair offers many of the same benefits as other types of kneeling chairs, including improved posture and reduced back pain.
Metal kneeling chairs are generally more affordable than other types of kneeling chairs, making them a great option for budget-conscious shoppers. They are also typically more durable than their fabric or wood counterparts, making them a good choice for heavier users.
Some downsides to metal kneeling chairs include the fact that they can be less comfortable than other types of kneeling chairs and may not offer as much support for your knees and ankles. Additionally, metal surfaces can get cold in winter weather, so if you live in a colder climate, you may want to opt for a different type of chair.
Plastic Kneeling Chair
This chair is the most expensive option but offer the best comfort and support. They are very similar in design to the metal kneeling chairs, but have a more comfortable seat surface that is also typically more durable than other types of kneeling chairs. They also tend to be slightly larger and heavier than other kneeling chair options, although this does make them a good choice for larger users.
How to choose the right size of a kneeling chair
Measuring your height
This is the first step to ensure you choose a chair that is the right height for your needs. Kneeling chairs typically come with three different heights:
- Tall people should look for chairs that are between 26 and 30 inches in height. If you are tall and would like a chair that is closer to the ground, consider an adjustable kneeling chair.
- Average-height people should look for chairs that are between 20 and 25 inches in height.
- Those who are shorter than average should look for a chair that is 18 inches or lower.
Checking the dimensions of the chair
When choosing a kneeling chair, it is important to check the dimensions of the seat and make sure it is comfortable for you. The width of the seat should be at least 12 inches, and the depth should be at least 16 inches. The height of the seat should be adjustable so that you can find a comfortable position. The backrest should be high enough to support your lower back, and the armrests should be adjustable so that you can rest your elbows comfortably.
Style is also an important consideration when choosing a kneeling chair. Do you want a traditional wood chair or something more modern? Would you prefer a cushion or no cushion? There are many options available, so take some time to browse and find the perfect one for your needs.
Conclusion | How To Sit On A Kneeling Chair
Kneeling chairs are a great way to improve your posture and reduce back pain. But, like any type of furniture, they need to be used correctly in order to be effective. When sitting in a kneeling chair, make sure that your hips are higher than your knees and that your back is straight. If you start to slouch, gently bring yourself back up to the starting position.
Kneeling chairs are not for everyone, so it’s important to consult with a doctor or physical therapist before using one. If you have any preexisting medical conditions, such as arthritis, hip pain, or knee pain, a kneeling chair could make your symptoms worse.
Overall, kneeling chairs are a safe and effective way to improve your posture and reduce back pain.